Market Risk Management
This three day programme is designed primarily for banking professionals or those who either consult companies on how to manage their FX and interest rate exposures or are involved in corporate treasury and risk management functions.
What will you learn
Main topics covered during this training
- Understanding the risk management products including FRAs, swaps, futures and options
- Mark-to-market valuation
- Valuing linear instruments
- A primer in option valuation
- Using interest rate derivatives with linear payoffs
- Using non-linear interest rate derivatives
- Managing currency risks with forwards, swaps and options and packaged solutions
- Using exotic option in FX risk management
Who should attend
From Investment, Corporate and other financial institutions – Managers and Professionals from the following departments:
- Risk Management
- Interest Rate Analysts, Sales and Traders
- Currency Analysts, Sales and Traders
- Financial Analysts
- Portfolio Managers
- Treasury Managers
Market Risk Management - A Three Day Programme
Day 1: The Tools of Risk Management and Principles of Derivatives Valuation
Day 2: Managing Interest Rate Risks
Day 3: Managing Currency Risks
DAY 1: THE TOOLS OF RISK MANAGEMENT AND PRINCIPLES OF DERIVATIVES VALUATION
Understanding the Risk Management Products – Part 1
- What financial risks are corporates exposed to?
- How are they managed?
- The risk management products: FRAs, Swaps
- FX instruments
Understanding the Risk Management Products – Part 2
- The role of exchange traded futures contracts
- Understanding the Clearing House guarantee
- Initial and variation margins
- Short-term interest rate futures
- Long-bond futures contracts
- Understanding the contract specification
- Defining price factors
- What is the “cheapest-to-deliver” bond?
- Distinguishing between OTC and exchange traded products
Understanding the Risk Management Products – Part 3
- Option instruments
- An options primer
- Understanding the pay-off profiles
- Combining options
- Put-call parity and synthetic positions
PRINCIPLES OF DERIVATIVES VALUATION
- The Mark-to-Market Approach
- Why is the mark-to-market approach important?
- Understanding the principles of the time value of money
- Creating the inter-bank discount curve from traded instruments
- Bootstrapping techniques
- Interpolation methods
- Understanding the role of spot and forward curves
Valuing Linear Instruments
- Understanding the cash flow approach to valuation
- Understanding the arbitrage-free model to forward pricing
- Marking-to-market a simple FRA
- Marking-to-market an interest rate swap
- Calculating the replacement cost of a currency swap
A Primer on Option Valuation
- Why its important to understand the “fair” price
- Intuitive approach to option pricing
- Time value vs intrinsic value
- Determining what drives the time value of an option
- The Black-Scholes replicating portfolio approach v probabilistic approach
- Understanding the “Greek” sensitivities
DAY 2: MANAGING INTEREST RATE RISKS
- Using Interest Rate Derivatives with Linear Payoffs
- Using FRA’s to lock-in forward borrowing and investment rates
- Short-term interest rate futures compared
- Determining hedge ratios
- Stack vs strip hedges
- The problem with short-term interest futures: basis risk
- Using swaps to hedge multiple period risks: cash flow matching
- Using bond futures contracts to manage longer term exposures
- Defining the hedge ratio
- Problems with bond futures contracts based on government securities
- Swaps as interest rate exposure tools
Using Non-Linear Interest Rate Derivatives
- Interest rate options
- Caps, floors, and collars
- Structured products incorporating embedded interest rate options
- Participating caps and corridors
- Barrier caps
- Using captions and swaptions
- Comparison of risk management techniques
DAY 3: MANAGING CURRENCY RISKS
- Using Vanilla Instruments
- Types of exposure
- Defining hedging objectives and measuring hedge efficiency
- Managing exposures with linear instruments
- FX forwards and FX swaps
- Using currency swaps
- Managing exposures with options
- Basic option hedges
- Selling options in a hedging programme
- Packaged solutions
- Collars, range-forwards, cylinders, corridors
- Participating forwards and ratio forwards
- Break-forwards, FOX’s, forward reversing optionsPassive management
Using Exotic Option in FX Risk Management
- Average rate options
- Barrier options
- Compound options
Paul has over 20 years experience of working and teaching in the financial and derivatives industry. Paul joined the London International Financial Futures and Options Exchange (LIFFE) in 1988, spending several years on the exchange trading floor before transferring to LIFFE’s Business Development Department.
Most of our public courses are run over 2 full days. Some programmes are offered as a 1 or 3 day training.
In-house training is tailored to client’s requirements and can be organised over 1 day, 2-3 weeks or longer.
Public courses are organised mainly in London and Dubai. Occasionally we organise courses in other centres like Paris or New York. Check our public course calendar for the current list of programmes. We use a range of training venues, all in the centre of the cities and with excellent transport links to the airports and train stations.
In London we use venues in the centre (near Oxford Circus station or in Mayfair) or in the City (near Liverpool Street or Moorgate stations).
In Dubai our courses are organised in one of 4-5* hotels in the Deira district. Once you register we will send you detailed information together with accommodation options if required.
Our in-house courses can be delivered anywhere in the world. We work with over 25 trainers worldwide. Contact us do discuss your requirements. Check our list of available programmes.
Our courses are run in central locations from 9 a.m until 5-5.30 p.m. There are 2 coffee breaks and a lunch break. Lunch is always provided in the venue.
Dress code is smart casual.
All our programmes are taught by senior specialists who have spent many years in their respective sectors, working as senior managers and head of departments, so they understand very well the market and the challenges you are facing.
The experience of our trainers allows us to create very practical programmes, focused on current market trends and challenges. You can be sure that you will gain the knowledge which can be instantly applied in your workplace after the course. You will be analysing real life case studies, take part in group exercises and discussions as well as role plays, whenever applicable.
We want our courses to be as practical and interactive as possible so we limit the number of participants in order to optimise your time with the trainer and allow you to ask questions which are important for you.
In order to understand your requirements and expectations, we will send you a pre-course questionnaire.
You will also receive post-course support so if you have any questions after you left the training, you are welcome to contact us.
There are 2 easy ways to register:
- Go to the course of your choice and click Register Now button to fill the registration page
- Email us to email@example.com
After you register, we will send you registration confirmation and an invoice so you can arrange the payment. Please note that your place is not confirmed until we receive it.
If you register within Early Bird discount period, there’s limited time to arrange the payment in order to be eligible for the discount. You will find all the details on the invoice.
We don’t advise to make any travel and hotel arrangements until you receive full course confirmation from us.
We will send you venue and course details as soon as possible but most likely about 3-4 weeks prior to the course commencement.
You can pay by:
- Making a bank transfer
- Debit/credit card
- Cheque payable to Eureka Financial Ltd. - only within UK
Just mark preferred paying option on the registration form. Whichever form of payment you choose we will always send you an invoice.
If you pay by card, a 2.2% processing fee will be added. We will send you authorisation form so you can give us your card details.
Included in the price of a public course are:
- Course tutorial
- Take away course materials
- Course Certificate
- Lunch on the days of the training as well as drinks and snacks throughout the course
The price doesn’t include accommodation, flights, transfers and any additional costs outside of the training venue.
Yes, we always offer Early Bird discount, so the sooner you register the more savings you can make. We also offer group discounts and if you register for 2 or more programmes at the same time.
If you are a full time student or unemployed, we offer a 25% discount of the full price of the training. Student ID or unemployment status confirmation is required to claim this discount.
If you attend one of our courses you will be entitled to a special discount for a year after the last course you attend with us. Also, if you have attended and recommended us to a friend, both you and your friend will receive a special discount. You will receive more information about it after you attend the course.
See our Customer Loyalty Discounts page for more details.
All our courses based in the UK are subject to the VAT charge of 20%. This fee is irrespective of the country of residence of the delegates.
You can, however, claim the VAT back by contacting UK tax office - HMRC, and filling the relevant form, as long as you comply with the following rules:
For Delegates coming from the EU countries
If you represent a registered business in another EU country, you can use the Refund Scheme to reclaim VAT you pay in the UK as long as all of the following apply:
- You're not registered for VAT in the UK and don't have to, or can't be, registered here
- You don't have a place of business or a residence in the UK
- You don't make any supplies in the UK
You can find some more information here. In order to claim the VAT you have to fill Form 65.
For the Delegates from Non EU countries
If you represent a registered business in a non-EU country, you can use the Refund Scheme to reclaim VAT you pay in the UK as long as all of the following apply:
- You're not registered for VAT in the UK and don't have to, or can't be, registered here
- You don't have a place of business or a residence in the EU
- You can only use the Refund Scheme if your own country operates a similar scheme and makes it available to UK businesses. If your country has its own Refund Scheme but doesn't let UK businesses use it, you can't claim under the UK Refund Scheme.
- You don't make any supplies in the UK
If the following rules apply to you, please fill the 65A form and send it to HMRC.
You can cancel your participation up to a month before the course and receive a refund minus 10% of the full course value. Between 2-4 weeks before the course you will be charged 50% cancellation fee and if you cancel less than 2 weeks before the course you can only offer your place to a colleague. Up to 2 weeks before the course you can reregister for another edition for 10% reregistration fee if there is another webinar offered or you can rebook for a course in London by paying the difference in price plus 10% reregistration fee.
If there is any official travel restriction or difficulty related to the COVID pandemic around the time of the course we will convert the training into a webinar or offer to attend the next classroom edition at no extra cost.
If you are unable to attend the course, you can either send a replacement at no extra charge or, up to 10 days before the training, you can transfer your booking to another edition within the next 6 months paying administrative fee of 20% of the full course price. For any cancellation requests received between 11 days and 4 weeks from the course we offer 50% refund or reregistration to another edition for 25% of the value of the booking. For any cancellation requests received more than 4 weeks before the course date we will offer a refund less an administration fee of 10% of the full course price.
Cancellations must be made in writing (letter or email) and reach our office four weeks prior to the course date. We regret that only limited refunds can be given after this period as per points above. Non-attendance without any notification will be charged at full rate. Your place on a course is not guaranteed until we receive the payment. All payments must be made in full before the course date.
All our trainers have been working for many years in their respective sectors before they begun to teach so they bring a wealth of practical experience to the classroom.
Most of them used to work for 15 or more years in the financial sector and corporate world, and were holding positions of Directors, VP and Senior Managers. Some of them have published books and have written articles for specialised magazines and newspapers including FT, The Independent, The Times etc. You can find detailed biography of each trainer on the page of the course you want to register for.
Yes, you will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course you attend.
If you have to apply for a Visa to attend a course in the UK, we will issue a letter to support your application. The letter will be issued only after the payment for the course has been made.
It is delegate’s responsibility to obtain a Visa and failure to do so will not make the participant exempt from the cancellation policy.
Anyone suspected of applying for a training course simply to gain a Visa letter will be reported to their embassy.
We will need the following information to issue an invitation letter:
- Full name as it appears on your passport
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Passport issue date
- Passport expiry date