Introduction to Capital Markets & Investment Banking
This programme is now available only on in-company basis. If you have a group of 3 or more we can deliver it in any location worldwide. Contact us to find out more.
Check here the list of our upcoming open public courses.
This practical 1 day course taught by a former senior banker is designed for anyone who wants to understand how the City and financial markets work, their main players and correlations between them as well financial instruments and the latest market trends.
The course will explore the role and functions of investment banks, stock exchanges, fund management and other market participants and investors. Banking departments and their responsibilities will be explained; you will also learn how to use the banking jargon.
The training includes many recent case studies, exercises and a financial quiz which will help you to consolidate the knowledge. You will explore the events which made it to the front pages of the newspapers as well as the latest trends and challenges faced by the sector.
Click here to see detailed programme
On completion you will receive course certificate.
What Will You Learn
On completion of this course you will understand:
Main Topics Covered During This Training
Who Should Attend
The course is suitable for anyone who wants to understand how the financial markets work and includes many recent case studies, exercises and a financial quiz which will help to consolidate the knowledge.
Introduction to Capital Markets & Investment Banking - A 1 Day course
Overview and Introduction
- Functions of the world’s financial markets – transferring funds and risk
- Main market players and their function
- What are efficient markets?
- Markets as forward discounting mechanisms
- Bank funding of companies in today’s market place
- The Role of Investment Banks
- Typical investment bank structure, main departments and functions
- Front, middle and back office operations
- Who are banks' clients; buy-side vs sell-side
- Participation by investment banks in different markets
- Current developments in investment banking
The Money Markets
- How do money markets operate?
- The major participants and instruments
- Interest rates and the role of central banks
The Bond Markets
- Fixed income fundamentals – what is a bond and how are they traded?
- The importance of sovereign debt markets
- Variations on a theme – asset backed, Eurobonds, floating rate notes
- Corporate bonds and credit ratings – importance of the rating agencies
Primary Equity Markets – The New Issue Process
- Equities in context – how are returns to shareholders generated?
- The new issue process – offering or placement, bookbuild or tender?
- Primary markets - why float and where?
- Structuring a new issue and targeting Investors
Secondary Equity Markets
- Geography vs liquidity in the world’s equity markets
- What makes shares go up and down? Dividend yields and cover
- What makes shares go up and down? Earnings and PE ratios
- Asset values – Tangible to intangible
An Introduction to the Derivatives Markets
- What are they and where can you trade them
- Options – terminology, payoff profiles, for hedging or speculation
- Swaps – interest rate and credit default swaps
- Role of the exchange and clearing house
- Why futures? Hedging, trading, arbitrage
Types of Risks
- Market Risk
- Operational Risk
- Reputation Risk
Developments in Market Regulations
- Main market regulations and their impact on the industry
Main Market Trends & Developments
- What kind of courses do you offer?
- How long are your courses?
- Where do you deliver your courses?
- What can I expect from attending your course?
- How do I register?
- What happens after I register?
- How do I pay?
- Whatâ€™s included in the price?
- Do you offer any discounts?
- What is your Cancellation Policy
- Who are your Trainers?